Pages

Wednesday 22 July 2015

20th Century Pedagogy on 21st Century Devices

      I recently gave a presentation at Teach Expo in Gisborne, entitled 20th Century Pedagogy on 21st Century Devices. I wanted to highlight my view that just because you have devices in your class and are using them, it doesn't mean that they are used well or appropriately to develop 21st Century skills.       Devices can be very expensive pen and paper if not used appropriately. If you and your students are just using your devices for word processing and research, you may well be using 20th Century pedagogy, and might as well ditch the expensive tools for old fashioned cheaper pen, paper and books.  
                      
       I gave the participants in the workshop some examples of 20th Century pedagogy that I had observed and we spent time working out how the teacher might have done things differently. I am publishing a shortened version of my presentation here to provide a bit of thought stimulation on how devices could support 21st century learning. This version only refers to phone and ipad use in the classroom, although if you click on the links in slides 27 to 33 and fill out the surveys, don't limit yourselves to answering just about those devices.  The responses are visible in slide 33 so that everyone can share their ideas.
If you view the presentation in slides, you will be able to see the notes which contain a number of links to a number of resources that I provided.
I am looking forward to seeing some shared examples of how you have used 21st Century pedagogy, supported by the use of digital technologies.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with you, Leigh - I keep on talking about the $500 (or more) pencil - this is one of my little pet peeves!
    I wish I could remember where I saw it recently, but someone had posted a video I think that applied the SAMR model in a very interesting way: Rather than looking at substituting (modifying etc.) handwriting with typing, she used typing as what to be replaced. How do we up our game as a profession and move all learning and teaching into at least the beginning of the 21st Century?
    As we all know, tool-training by itself does nothing, teachers need to see the 'so what', and ongoing support in context is vital to make a difference to learning and teaching. The focus on Teaching as Inquiry (or Action Research / Action Learning as it is called over here in AUS) is absolutely vital IMHO, but so is ongoing PL support, if we want all students to be set up for success in the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete