Pages

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Kumara

This presentation was based on a Maori whakatauki "Kaore te kumara e korero mo tona mangaro" which basically means the kumara (sweet potato) does not talk of its own sweetness. It is considered inappropriate to speak of your own achievements. So in this context, how could Maori students allow an eportfolio to speak for them? My idea was that someone else could write an eportfolio about your achievements that you could share when going for a job. I am not sure how successful this concept is but the participants in the workshop had fun. It was one way of trying to be culturally responsive. Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand what you mean, though I haven't grown up here, I have taken on a similar mindset and I find it hard to 'blow my own trumpet'. I think there are many occasions in education where students would feel uncomfortable talking about their achievements - one of them being the eportfolios.
    Would group portfolios be an option where everyone had input? I would hate for the student not having any input in the telling of their achievements, and if only as prep for NCEA.
    I like your presentation, too:) portfolios haven't been a topic in my schools yet, will have to bring this up :)
    Many thanks for sharing, Leigh!

    ReplyDelete